The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

German Albatros 15 July 1917

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: German Albatros 15 July 1917
    Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:00

In McCudden’s book Flying Fury he notes that he went over to see Le Gallais at 23 Squadron, Poperinghe where they were entertaining a German Sergeant-Major (Hauptfeldwebel?) who had been driven down by three of 23 Squadrons SPADS.  I have a note that on the 15 July Albatros DV D2129/17 was forced down intact but no other details, can any one confirm which machine it was. Can anyone fill in any of the other details, unit pilots name etc?

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 10:31
Hi

I found an article in C&CI Vol2/4 by Stewart Leslie and Mick Davis which seems to answere most of the questions I have.

I would be interested to know why the aeroplane is noted as D2129 when it appears to be 1162/17 ?

The article in C&CI states the a/c was forced down on the 16/7,  Bruce Robertsons Briitish Military Aircraft Serials 1878-1987 said it was forced down on 15/07/17.

McCudden in Flying Fury tells of what he did on the 14/07 and then says on the next day he flew up to Poperinghe to visit Le Gallais, who was attached to no 23 squadron  which was flying SPADS.  At this time the squadron was entertaining a Captured German Sgt Maj who had been driven down etc.  He starts the next para On the 16 July...

On the 15/07 McCudden and Henderson flew from 11.40 to 13.00 hrs on a practice cross country flight and later McCudden went out again on his own at 18.40 returning at 21.05 again on  a practice cross country flight, or was this the trip to 23 Squadron?

john-g

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic