The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GUNTHER PLÜSCHOW

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GUNTHER PLÜSCHOW
    Posted: 13 Oct 2010 at 22:29

GUNTHER PLÜSCHOWGUNTHER PLÜSCHOW

Anton Rippon

Pen & Sword, 47 Church Street, Barnsley, S70 2AS

208pp, 180×240mm, hardback.

ISBN 978-1-84884-132-1, £19.99

This remarkable man came to fame fighting in Germany’s colony in China, Tsingtao. He flew single handedly against the Japanese and British in a repeatedly damaged Rumpler Taube, doing vital observation work. He claimed to be the first pilot in history to shoot down another aircraft in air-to-air combat. After his capture, he became the only German prisoner of war to escape from the British mainland in World War I. And after that he explored the southern most tip of South America from the air, being the first aviator to see Tierra del Fuego. He died in 1931 when his parachute failed to open after a mid-air accident. His whole story sounds like fiction, but is not.

A quite remarkable man done justice in this vivid biography. Well indexed and illustrated, this book opened up another new field to me and I loved it.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic