The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jules Vedrines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jules Vedrines
    Posted: 18 Jan 2010 at 08:52
I am looking at the career of Jules Vedrines in answer to an enquiry. I have some information about his military service (up until he flew with N3 from Vadelaincourt from March 1916), which I will post later, but I am interested in what happened to him after htat. He was killed in a Caudron G4 in August 1919 during the Paris to Athens Air Race.

Also, Vedrines is known to have flown a monoplane named 'La Vache' (the cow). This was spposedly a 160 hp Gnome experimental Bleriot, with papermache fuselage, armour plate and a fuselage door used by spies during clandestine missions behind German lines (which Guynemer undertook also, but in a Morane L Parasol). The one photo I have seen of  La Vache looks more like a REP.

Can anyone add anything ?

Thanks
Nick
Paul R Hare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul R Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 20:09
I know he was Robert Loraine's mechanic in 1910.
And wasn't he the one who landed on the roof of Galleries Lafayette in paris in 1919?
Paul hare.
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 11:57
Nick,
         Another interesting character. My knowledge of Vedrines was gleaned from The Air Racers Terry Gwynn-Jones, Pelham Press 1984, a recomended read.
This book has very good coverage except for his war service, so I look forward to your posting.
I recall Vedrines was involved with Roland Garros regarding the Morane deflector plates.
I would not be surprised to read Vedrines fired at a balloon observer who had taken to a parachute, as he is remembered more fore a fiery temperament than sportsmanship.       Dogzbody.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2010 at 16:56
Vedrines was born in Paris in 1881 and was a chauffeur/mechanic when he witnessed Wilbur Wright fly at Le Mans in 1908. Vedrines subsequently learned to fly at Pau. In 1911 he won the Paris to Madrid race in a Morane-Borel, flying over the Pyrenees to land in Madrid. The race was completed in 15 hours flying time, spread over 3 days. Second in Daily Mail Circuit of Britain. World Absolute Speed record holder 1911.

Flying Deperdussin monocoque Vedrines pushed the speed record from 90 to 108 mph in 7 separate attempts, becoming the first pilot to fly at 100 mph (Pau 22.2.1912). Won the Gordon Bennett race in the USA. First France to Egypot flight in November 1913, a distance of 2,500 miles in a Bleriot XI-2.

Volunteered on outbreak of war.

Two unconfirmed claims :

2.9.1914 While serving with Camp Retranche de Paris, Sgt Vedrines, at 7:50 am claimed a Taube over Suippe, althopugh the aircraft regained the German lines before crashing. French infantry ground fire was involved also. This was the first French aerial victory claim of the war. Flying a monoplane named 'La Vache' (the cow). Supposedly a 160 hp Gnome experimental Bleriot, but looks more like a REP !

1.9.1915 By now an Adjutant, Vedrines was serving with MS3 when he claimed LVG CI 280/15 over Moreuil. LVG fell in French lines and crew were captured, but Vedrines' claim was not confirmed.

Guynemer joined MS3 in may 1915 and was taught by Vedrines to make spy drops and collections behind German lines. Guynemer used a Morane L parasol, Vedrine 'La Vache'.

MS3 became N3 when it re-equipped with Nieuport XI Bebes, and Vedrines named his aircraft 'La Vache'. N3 sent reinforcements to Verdun under Brocard to augment the French scouts operating in this area. Vedrines and Guynemer were inthe contingent. N3 was based at Vadelaincourt, 20 miles SW of Verdun, from 12 March 1916, and opertaed patrols of 6+ aircraft to patrol specifically assigned areas.

Vedrines died in August 1919 when his Caudron GIV crashed near Lyons during the Paris to Athens air race.
Dogzbody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogzbody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 16:02
Thanks Nick,
                       Had Vedrines been credited with the Taube forced down in September 1914, he would have been remembered as the first aviator to have shot down an enemy aircraft instead of Lieut Frantz and Cpl Quenault on October 5th 1914.
Why did he have a print of the Mona Lisa pasted on the fuselage of the pre-war Deperdussin monocoupe any ideas?             Dogzbody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2010 at 11:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93UdIgU3_sA
Footage of 1911 Circuit of Britain - Vedrines came 2nd

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic