The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sidney-Charles-Chisel-Griggs-photo-album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
354 Griggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 354 Griggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidney-Charles-Chisel-Griggs-photo-album
    Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 21:12
I hope this is ok, I thought I'd create a single topic with all the photos I have of my G G uncle.
Some will be of him, and others are of aircraft and other general bits and bobs in my collection.
Here he is in his early service days. I have records of him in the Royal Engineers but I'm
not sure he is here given the flags they are holding. (Back, middle).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 354 Griggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 21:23
Not sure if this is RFC dress. Notice the cloth button. I do have a metal RFC button handed down to me and I wondered if it was taken from this jacket and given as a sweetheart token to his intended.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 354 Griggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 21:38
Charlie at Netheravon in 1913.

ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 01:10
The first photo is of Royal Engineer Signallers I think.
In the second photo Griggs is not wearing a R.F.C. uniform. I assume it is a Royal Engineers uniform.
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 06:55
The R.F.C. group photograph is possibly of members of No.4 Squadron, possibly 'C' Flight which we know Griggs was in, and Captain H.R.P. Reynolds who was the 'C' Flight Commander.
Problem is, both Griggs and Reynolds also served with No.2 Squadron (note to self, get facts straight before posting on forum lol).

Edited by ROBPUGH - 15 Jul 2016 at 07:13
ROBPUGH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ROBPUGH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 17:51
The R.F.C. group photograph was definitely taken when Griggs was with No.4 Squadron at Netheravon in 1913. No.2 Squadron were not based at Netheravon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 354 Griggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 17:52
More of Netheravon 1914: "cold and miserable" in June!

NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:05
The Full Dress uniform is Royal Engineers. The cloth covered button is a sign of being in mourning - presumably for Edward VII, dating the photo to 1911.

I would say that the photo with the flags shows members of the Royal Engineers Signal Service, formed in 1908, and developed in to the Royal Corps of Signals in 1920. It is interesting to note that some of the sappers are wearing the Broderick Cap still, although this was supposed to be replaced from 1905 with the Field Service Cap, as worn by the seated Sergeant.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 354 Griggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 20:46
A couple of nice shots of 504Ks and DH4s. I believe these were taken at Swingfield, Dover prior to leaving for France.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 354 Griggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 20:51

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic