The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photos from 14 or 111 Squadron WW1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
gilesforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photos from 14 or 111 Squadron WW1
    Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 21:47
Hi,

I believe my great grandfather was in the above squadrons in the Middle East during WW1.

We only have 1 photograph of him so I'd love to see if there may be others of him in other people's photo albums!

Even if not, would love to see photos from that time and place anyway.

If you have any to share I'd love to see them.

Many thanks,

Giles
Colin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 16:17
Hi Giles,
If you would care to talk more about this would you please email me directly at prepress@crossandcockade.com
and hopefully attach a jpg of your grandfather, as you don't say what his rank was there.
Many thanks, Colin
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 16:29
There is Mike O'Connor's indepth coverage of 14 Squadron in the C&CI Journal which includes a great deal of biographical detail. 
As 111 Squadron was formed from the scout flight of 14 Squadron, and there was considerable movement of personnel between squadrons in the Middle East (with 1 AFC flying other squadrons' aircraft, it would seem), there is a good chance that he will appear somewhere.
Greater chance if he was aircrew, of course !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 17:27
Thanks Nick, I have had a look but no luck I'm afraid.

He was an Observer.

Colin - thanks, I'll drop you an email with photo and background.

Regards,

Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 08:24
What was his full name and rank ?
If he was an observer he can only have been with 111 Squadron when they had Bristol F2B Fighters which means that he may have gone to 14 Squadron when the Biffs were replaced and went to 1 AFC. 
Alternatively, he may have gone to 111 Squadron at the end of the war when the Biffs came back to 111 from 1 AFC, and then 111 was renumbered 14 Squadron !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 08:37
Hi Nick,

I've been trying to find out his movements - it's very tricky from his records, but this is what I have so far:

Full name: Guy Archibald Forrest
Previously in South African Constabulary, PPLCI , then Army Service Corps in Egypt (Kantara/Post Said/Ismalia) as 2nd/Lt, then:
21st August 1916: Attached to 5th Wing (assume this is 14 Squadron although his records make no mention of it) [Source: ASC Records]
9th September 1916: Stationed at “HQ HT Units, Canal Zone, Ismailia” [Source: ASC Records]
1st October 1916: Stationed at “HQ HT Units, Canal Zone, Ismailia” [Source: ASC Records]
21st October 1916: Appointed Flying Officer (Observer) and transferred to the General List (with seniority 21st August 1916) [Source: ASC and Air Records]
12th November 1916: Departed Suez on El Kahira [Source: Peter Wright article “Lawrence’s Air Force”] (trying to confirm this with official records)
17th November 1916: Arrives Rabegh on El Kahira [Source: Peter Wright article “Lawrence’s Air Force”]
12th February 1916: At No.3 School of Military Aviation [Source: Air Records] 
26th February 1917: “Proceeded to Aden. H.T. ‘Jeddah’ & struck off strength of E” [Source: ASC Records] 
25th May 1917: At Suez as Observer on reconnaissance mission to NEKHL. Said to be part of 14 Squadron [Source: Ross Smith Diary] 
1st July 1917: Promoted to Lieutenant [Source: Air Records]
15 August 1917: Appointed as Recording Officer for 111 Squadron [Source: Air Records]
22nd February 1918: HOME ESTAB 39th Squadron [Source: Air Records]

Edited by gilesforrest - 24 Feb 2016 at 08:45

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 09:04
As he was in Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (composed, originally, of British ex-servicemen living in Canada, for which I guess he was entitled to join because of his police service), I'd look at his Canadian records.

14 Squadron was part of 5 Wing RFC, though he seems to have been attached to HQ 5 Wing.

39 Squadron was a Home Defence unit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 10:36
Thanks Nick,

I do have his PPCLI records which end when he transferred to ASC.

What would be his role if attached to HQ do you know?

Regards,

Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 10:55
Probably staff work, though it is notable that he graduated as an observer and not as an Admin Officer.
His ability for staff work is reflected in his appointment as Recording Officer for 111 Squadron.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:08
Yes that's interesting that he would be appointed an Observer after 2 months if he hadn't done any Observer duties. Especially as I understand (from https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=T2ZEBgAAQBAJ&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30#v=onepage&q&f=false ) that to be gazetted an Observer required recommendation from CO and an Observer position being available in a Squadron - so he must have been attached to a Squadron on 21st October....question is, for how long?

Edited by gilesforrest - 24 Feb 2016 at 11:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic