The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photos from 14 or 111 Squadron WW1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
gilesforrest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:31
Whilst in the ASC he was listed as "S.O.H.Q" and then became "T.O.H.Q" - the T.O. I deduced was Transport Officer and the S.O. guessed was Supply Office - maybe it was Staff Officer?
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:40
You could look in the Army Lists to see if he has a GSO - General Staff Officer - grading.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:47
It's odd, I couldn't find him in the Army Lists (maybe I was looking in the wrong place - do they include 2nd/Lieut?). 

I found him in the April 1918 Air Force List as an Observer Officer:

Edited by gilesforrest - 25 Feb 2016 at 08:31

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:54
All commissioned ranks are included in the Monthly and Quarterly Army Lists. 
I would expect to find him in the Army Lists right up to the end of the war as a secondment to the RAF.
You can try the London Gazette website for dates of commissioning, promotion etc, bt the search engine is a bit cranky.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 11:59
I've found his entries in the Gazette ok, but as you say I'd expect to find him in the Army Lists.

The entry for September 1916 doesn't have him in the index:

Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Giles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilesforrest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 17:09
Someone on another forum helped me out on this:

Giles:  The problem is that you are looking in the wrong Army Lists.  Quarterly Army Lists only list regular officers and Forrest was not a regular officer.  If you examine the Monthly Army Lists you will find him listed as a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant, ASC effective 13 November 1915 and as a Flying Officer, RFC, Military Wing, Aeroplanes (Observer) effective 21 August 1916.

Regards, Dick Flory

Jaqs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaqs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 04:47
Hi All , I am a new member searching for Any information on ww1 pilot Stanley Frank Allabarton , Flight Lieutenant Royal Air Corps ww1.

I believe that in the vast bank of knowledge, information & records that members of this group will undoubtedly have ~ must hold some info or images pertaining to the great man.

I am researching the man for what remains of his family.
He ended up living in Canada late 30 & early 40's & would greatly value Any info pertaining to that period or his war service.

I / we have a full list of dates etc pertaining to his service record , but Any info or images would be greatly valued & appreciated.

Many Thanks & Regards to All ,
Nicholas.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 08:10
Allabarton left at 6 am on an offensive patrol, led by Captain WJ Cairnes,east of Croiselles-Bailleul, in 19 Squadron SPAD SVII B1627, on 19 May, 1917.

Spotted a hostile aircraft east of Croiselles, about 10 miles east of Lines.

He was last seen east of Arras, and posted missing when he failed to return at 8:30 am.

Confirmed as POW. Forced to land due to anti-aircraft fire damage.

Repatriated 3 January, 1919.

Try Ancestry for a Royal Aero Club certificate portrait photo.

Derek Palmer's 'Fighter Squadron' provides a good summary of 19 Squadron operations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 08:17
SUPPLEMENT To THE LONDON GAZETTE, 14 SEPTEMBER, 1916. 8989
The undermentioned to be temp. 2nd Lts. (on prob.) for duty with R.F.C. 5th Sept. 1916: — 
Stanley Frank Allabarton.

See also http://www.crossandcockade.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1273 for notes on photos of crash. Notes that the Spad came down at Harnes, north east of Lens

nieuport11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nieuport11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 09:50
There is a Red Cross file and attachments for him here:
http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/258349/3/2/
Enter the 'PA' reference numbers to get the individual documents
There is a Casualty card in the RAF Museum:
http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.uk/archive/allabarton-s.f
I'll send you a pm with individual Casualty reports
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic