The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Squadron is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Squadron is this?
    Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 15:00
Hi,

Brought this yesterday at a fair, no clues as to the men or the squadron, any help appreciated, John-g

AndyK View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 15:32
Clearly a two-seater unit from the number of flying "O"s. I'd suggest mid-war, as there's no RAF or Naval style uniforms - and some of the flyers are still sporting the pre/early-war style cuffs, with pips etc. Sorry I can't be more specific - a trawl through back issues fo the journal may present some options ...
AndyK
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 15:42
Hi Andy,

I agree with all you have said, I was hoping that some one might recognise on the men concerned, that would be a start.

Cheers

john-g
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 09:37
If you can identify any of the collar badges - which tend to be regimental/corps rather than RFC - these can be checked against the Army Lists and may well give you some clues to work with.
Obviously, any cavalry or yeomanry officers identified will be an enormous help, the units and number of RFC secondments being much lower than with the infantry or corps, such as artillery.
John-G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:39
Thanks Nick, when I can find the time, I will have a go.

john-g
KK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 14:15
Note the single medal ribbon here. l suggest 1917 rather than 1918
and 1916 rather than 1917
is that a Red Tab sitting far right?
and we are looking for a squadron with a complete absence of dogs...!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic