The Forum is administered separately from the rest of the website - please log in below to post
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Obtaining Copies Of Published Strutter & SE5a Pics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Obtaining Copies Of Published Strutter & SE5a Pics

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bernoullis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernoullis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obtaining Copies Of Published Strutter & SE5a Pics
    Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 21:49
My colleague and I are researching the life and RFC/RAF career of Major Arthur W Keen MC, and I have found 2 photos that appear to be taken precisely during the time of his service with 70 Sqn and 40 Sqn. Keen deployed to France with 'C' Flt 70 Sqn in mid-1916, and was OC 40 Sqn in the summer of 1918.

Coincidentally, both these photos are from Windsock publications and the details of the books and photos are included at end of this posting.

The 70 Sqn Strutter photo appears to come from the "J M Bruce/G S Leslie archive" and the 40 Sqn SE5a photo from author Leslie A Roger's collection. Given that there are no photos of either Keen's 1916 or 1918 front-line tours amongst the small archive of Keen's photos held by his sister's descendant family, I would really like to try and obtain good quality copies of both these photos. We do have a few photos from his 1917 tour with 40 Sqn but an opportunity to illustrate the other years would be great.

I wonder if anyone here has ever attempted obtaining photos from either the "J M Bruce/G S Leslie archive" or from author Leslie Rogers. Can anyone supply good contacts for either? I don't really know where to start (except perhaps through publishers Windsock ...) but due to the broad group of experts and enthusiasts that frequent this forum I feel sure there will be someone here with personal experience in how to go about it, having done it themselves.

I would welcome any info on the process in general, procedures to follow, good contacts etc, and am happy to hear about it on this thread. Alternatively, if you would prefer to keep details and contacts private, then use of Personal Message is just as welcome. Thank you.

Sopwith 1½ Strutter by J M Bruce
Windsock Datafile 34
Second Edition 1998

Bottom of page 11, photo captioned: "Below, the 1½ Strutters of ‘C’ Flight, No.70 Squadron, photographed at Northolt."

"All period photos reproduced in this book are from the J M Bruce/G S Leslie archive unless otherwise accredited."

SE5/SE5a Squadrons by L A Rogers
Windsock Datafile Special

Bottom of page 10, photo captioned: "A pair of 'A' Flight Se5s probably circa July/August 1918."

"All photos are from the author's collection unless otherwise accredited."

Edited by Bernoullis - 05 Feb 2014 at 21:51
NickForder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickForder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2014 at 10:28
The Jack Bruce/ Stuart Leslie photo collection  is now at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.
http://www.fleetairarm.com/contact-aviation-museum.aspx
Bernoullis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bernoullis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2014 at 12:28
Nick, thank you for that!

I have also received word just today, from another source, of the same.  I shall make enquiries.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic